Bring Customers Back Long After the Holiday Rush
If you’re in the retail game, you know that holiday sales can either make or break your year. In fact, the last few months of the year are crucial, with 40% of annual retail sales concentrated in the holiday season (That’s Scary!). But what happens after that holiday rush? How can you influence your holiday shoppers to spend at your store year-round?
Get Lots of Email Addresses. Now.
No really! Email is one of the most effective tools in a retailer’s marketing arsenal and you need to take advanatge. Emails can help you keep in touch with shoppers, generate repeat business, and get to know your customers and their purchases better. Plus when it comes to conversions, a recent study found that users who click on emails are three times more likely to complete a purchase compared to those who click through social media.
If you missed the buck during Black Friday and Small Business Saturday, now is the time to feverishly get your customers to opt into your email program. Collect their contact info at your register or actively market other ways to join your email list NOW and throughout the holiday rush. Your business will see its highest traffic during the next 30 days and capturing customer info now will benefit you during the slow season. After all, your email marketing in June won’t have much effect if you have no one to send it to.
The start of a great list is one that is filled with customers (or prospective Customers) who have said “yes” to receiving information from your business. Follow these tips and you’ll soon find you have an email list that will help transform your holiday customers into your biggest fans.
- Ask for email addresses at the point of sale. In a friendly, non-creepy way, of course!
- Offer an digital receipt to be sent via email. Be sure to include links to your social profiles or website.
- Promote signups for loyalty and rewards programs. Come on, who doesn’t love a “exclusive deal.”
- Use your website. Have prominent sign-up opportunities throughout your website.
- Offer to send free valuable information about your industry. You’re the expert after all.
- Leverage social media to encourage signups. Feature your email registration prominently on your pages.
- Refer-a-friend. Acquiring new shoppers through your best customers is one of the best ways to build your list.
Once you’ve captured their email the possibilities are endless. Surveys, ‘thank yous’, marketing campaigns, promotions for their next visit… the opportunities are never-ending!!